Mavi Marmara

Remembering those on the Gaza convoy, and those in Gaza they were trying to help.

Flotilla participants

Cevdet Kılıçlar, killed during the raid on the Mavi Marmara. Source: Iara Lee, Caipirinha Foundation

Nine activists were shot and killed in the raid. Cengiz Akyüz (42), Ali Heyder Bengi (39),[161] İbrahim Bilgen (61), Cevdet Kılıçlar (38), Cengiz Songür (47), Çetin Topçuoğlu (53), Fahri Yaldız (43), Necdet Yıldırım (32)[22] were Turkish nationals, and Furkan Doğan (19), was an American, whom some sources say held dual citizenship.[162][163] Doğan's father rejected this, saying his American-born son had only a Turkish residency stamp in his US passport: "Furkan was a US citizen only and he did not think that he would be killed since he was an American." [164] İbrahim Bilgen was a Turkish politician from the Felicity Party.[165] Most of the dead were members of, or volunteers for the İHH,[166] while Ali Heyder Bengi was the chairman of Aydınlık Yarınlar İçin Hak ve Özgürlükler Eğitim Kültür ve Dayanışma Derneği (AYDER).[167]

Autopsies performed in Turkey showed that the nine killed had died of 9mm gunshot wounds, five of them from gunshot wounds to the head.[22][25] The dead were shot 30 times in total, with many shots fired at close range. Five of the victims were shot either in the back of the head or in the back, and at least four were shot from both front and back.[22] "From the analysis of the bullet distance on one of the bodies," Dr. Haluk Ince, the director of Istanbul's Medical Examination Institute, said, "the gun was fired between 2 and 14 centimeters' distance from the victim's head."[25] Furkan Doğan was shot five times from less that 45 cm, in the face, in the back of the head, twice in the leg and once in the back.[22]

Eight of the activists killed in the raid had a funeral in Istanbul on 3 June;[168] the last funeral was held in Istanbul on 4 June.[169]

Sarah Colborne, a British woman who was on the flotilla and has returned home, has disputed Israel's figure of nine dead, and said more are missing.[170]

US Ambassador to Turkey James Jeffrey called the father of Furkan Doğan, a US citizen who was killed during the Israeli raid. “There is no reason to not launch an inquiry. The ambassador said the US will help establish a commission to investigate the incident,” Doğan noted.[171]

The raid also left dozens wounded.[172] As of 16:00 on 31 May, thirty-four activists were hospitalized, nine of them in serious condition.[173] Seven activists remained under treatment in Israeli hospitals on 3 June.[174]

There were reports of scuffles at Ben Gurion International Airport. Ó Luain was injured when a row broke out with Israeli authorities but it is understood he was not seriously hurt.[citation needed] According to the flotilla activist Fintan Lan Ken, an Irish-American passenger was beaten by security officials at Tel Aviv airport before boarding, and had to be hospitalised.[175]
Israeli military

Israel reported that seven soldiers were injured in the clash—two seriously.[21][173] Two of the soldiers sustained gunshot wounds, and one soldier sustained a serious head wound and lost consciousness after being tossed from an upper deck by the activists.[108] Channel 2 (Israel) has aired footage of an Israeli Navy sailor being stabbed by one of the activists.[176]